What if I don't want nagios to check the service but only display them in web interface?

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Mon Mar 7 05:35:25 CET 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 12:19:52PM -0000, matato at pregi.net wrote:
>   being check etc. Also, I want to display those services
>   which doesn't have available plugins to check them in web
>   interface,but like the above, without having nagios to check
>   them or display a red critical status which will just
>   confuse the viewer with their status etc.  Any suggestions?
If nnap can see them from the Nagios machine then Nagios can see
it as well. You can also install the plugins on the actual
machines and use NRPE to get to them, so the only firewall port
open is NRPE from your monitoring machine.

Another option is to use NSCA to have the firewalled machines
periodically send a report in to Nagios.

Otherwise, I don't really understand why you would want Nagios
to display services that can't be checked.

> squid-http -> 3128
I think check_http could be used or check_tcp using it's send
string / expect string syntax.

> bgp -> 179
> bgpd -> 2605
> daytime -> 13
> time -> 37
> rpcbind -> 111
> ipp -> 631
Check to see if any of these present any sort of banneri on
connect.  Check_tcp can be configured to expect some string
(such as timezone or other constant) to verify functionality. It
doesn't necessairily exercise it according to RFC but it should
work most of the time.

> https -> 443
check_http can talk to https servers if openssl is present when
the plugin is compiled.

-Jason Martin
--
This message is PGP/MIME signed.