Splitting web interface from the rest of nagios: Possible?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Mar 3 14:48:47 CET 2005

[snip]

>  From my reading about nagios thus far, it appears that I would have
> have the nagios CGI scripts available on both web servers, and that
the
> CGI scripts would have to have access to the configuration and state
> information used by nagios. As far as I can see, I can set this up
fine
> through NFS sharing.
>
> I'm wondering if this will work, however... can anyone see why it
> wouldn't work? Does the nagios daemon have to be running on the same
> host that's serving the web interface? Any problems with file locking
> if, for example, the same CGI script running on both web servers wants
> to access the same file at the same time? Any other problems?

I'm doing something similar: I nfs export /usr/local/nagios from one
machine and mount it on another. You won't be able to issue external
commands from the web interface though if the command file is on an NFS
mount as nagios uses a named pipe. In my case that means I have two
servers that can be used to view the cgis, but I can only issue external
commands (acknowledgements, etc) with one of them.

--
Marc