Splitting web interface from the rest of nagios: Possible?

Guy Waugh gwaugh at scu.edu.au
Thu Mar 3 04:23:17 CET 2005

Greetings,

I'm setting up nagios to run on one of the machines in my LVS cluster.
My LVS cluster has two LVS directors (1 active, 1 redundant) and 8-10
(varies) hosts within the cluster.

I have installed nagios and nagios-plugins on one of my two database
boxes within the cluster. This database box, among other things,
NFS-exports a shared web document root to two load-balanced web servers
(also within the LVS cluster). Hits to these two web servers are
load-balanced by the active LVS director. Anyway...

What I would like to do is run the nagios server on the database box,
but serve the nagios web interface from both load-balanced web servers
simultaneously (so that either web server can be taken offline without
affecting any services). As the web document root is shared to both web
servers from the database server, I can share files from the database
server to both web servers, which makes me think that it should be
possible to set up nagios in this fashion. I would then run nrpe (?) on
each host in the cluster (including the web servers and the LVS
directors) and poll them all from nagios on the database server.

 From my reading about nagios thus far, it appears that I would have to
have the nagios CGI scripts available on both web servers, and that the
CGI scripts would have to have access to the configuration and state
information used by nagios. As far as I can see, I can set this up fine
through NFS sharing.

I'm wondering if this will work, however... can anyone see why it
wouldn't work? Does the nagios daemon have to be running on the same
host that's serving the web interface? Any problems with file locking
if, for example, the same CGI script running on both web servers wants
to access the same file at the same time? Any other problems?

Thanks,
Guy.