Nagios 1.2 RPM: "Monitoring process may not be running"

Guy Waugh gwaugh at scu.edu.au
Tue Mar 1 02:13:15 CET 2005

Hi there,

Just thought I'd post this to the list as I'm a virginal Nagios user and
have had this problem (see subject) for a day or so, and searching the
archives of this list found plenty of people with this problem, but no
solutions (that I could find, anyhow)...

I had installed the RPM version of Nagios 1.2 on my RHEL3 workstation,
configured it and it worked, but it was telling me "Monitoring process
may not be running". The file /etc/nagios/cgi.cfg had this by default:

nagios_check_command=/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nagios
/var/log/nagios/status.log 5 '/usr/bin/nagios'

However, there was no /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_nagios file.

This file is in the nagios-plugins RPM - installing that fixed the
problem for me.

Thanks,
Guy.