Command line format for external notification.

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jun 29 14:57:11 CEST 2005

Andreas Ericsson writes:

> Single and double quotes are intentionally left out from plugin
> output for this precise reason.

You may intentionally omit quotes for that reason.  Maybe some other
people do too.  I just had a look at the plugin developer guidelines and
this requirement is not mentioned.  I'd guess that in the majority of cases
the reason there are no quotes in plugin output is because the text
happened not to require them, not because the text was written to avoid
using them.

Perhaps when the guidelines are updated to indicate that -W is reserved
for POSIX extensions the section on plugin output can also be updated to
indicate which characters should not appear in plugin output.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support