Command line format for external notification.

krimo aait at free.fr
Wed Jun 29 13:17:29 CEST 2005

Paul L. Allen a écrit :

> Andreas Ericsson writes:
>
>> aait at free.fr wrote:
>>
>>> Example:
>>> define command{
>>>    command_name    notify-by-xmlrpc
>>>    command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/myagent/notification/my_script
>>> $HOSTNAME$ CRITICAL $OUTPUT$ $SERVICEDESC$ $DATETIME$
>>>    }
>>

>> Put single quotes around each macro.

This solution does not work ;).

> As the perl motto has it, "there's more than one way to do it."  An
> alternative solution would be to rearrange the parameters so that
> $OUTPUT$ is the last parameter.  Then after shifting out the hostname,
> etc., what is left is $OUTPUT$.
> $hostname = shift;
> $status = shift;
> $servicedesc = shift;
> $datetime = shift;
> $output = join(' ', @ARGV);
> Back in the days before perl had references, this sort of trick was the
> standard way of coding subroutines which took multiple parameters, one of
> which was an array - pass the scalars first and the array last.
> This approach is not better than yours, it's just one that I'd hope a
> competent perl coder would have used instinctively.  Mr Aait didn't...

Thanks for your reply. I have already considered this solution but this
is not the one I prefer. If I choose this solution, that means I would
have failed in the optimal configuration of Nagios (I can't admit it ;)
). Also my script can't be used anymore if Ihave two macros containing
strings.

The best solution is to correcftly configure Nagios command line and
Iknow there 's a way to do that. It's not a problem of perl code but
Nagios configuration (it's why I post in the nagios mailing list and not
perl one). Finally, I'm not a perl coder as you have seen ;) (I prefer C
lang. but in this case I do not decide any).

Regards
aaits