Distributed configuration issue with staleness (thresholds?)

Greg Cockburn gergnz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 00:14:30 CEST 2005

Hi Bob,

I know this isn't going to help you much, but I am having the same
problem.  I have about 50 machines/network devices with about 500
services over 3 sites connected via VPNs.  I was running all these
sites with seperate instances of Nagios, but am now trying to get the
distributed monitoring working.

For the most part it seems to be good, except that service checks go
stale before the remote server has a chance to send a passive check
result.

The problem with this is I get a few false positive notifications.
(not good at 3am in the morning) The other weird thing is, that the
Master host tries to do an 'active' check of the service, even when
active checks are disabled for that service on the master.  Why?

I have been playing around with a lot of the timings for various
things, and scouring the mailing lists for other peoples adventures
trying to piece it all together, with only so much luck.

I think the key is to carefully, record and trial different values for
various timeouts until you have a set that is working for your
environment, but YMMV, as I have found.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Greg.