Smart CPU monitor for Unix?

Matt Millard millard.matt at principal.com
Mon Jun 27 18:23:17 CEST 2005

I'm looking for some sort of smart CPU monitor.  I'd like to have
something that does a baseline of the server CPU utilization for a
given time period (at least a months worth of data).  Then compare the
current CPU utilization to that if it is a specified amount differing
notify.  So say for example that every night for 1 hour I run a system
backup that pegs the CPU at 100% (this is at different times for our
servers), or it could be some month end processing job, or an end of
the week processing job.  I want the monitor to be smart enough to not
send an alert because this is normal system activities.  And obviously
it has to hit this threshold a determined amount of times before it
sends the alert.

What are other people doing for CPU monitoring on Unix systems?  Does
this approach seam reasonable? Sometimes it's OK for it to be utilized,
I just want to know when it's acting odd.  I don't currently do any SNMP
monitoring, but it is in the plans for the future.

Matt

Matt Millard| IS Server Administration | 515.248.0033