About a active plugin in local machine

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Jun 26 13:27:12 CEST 2005

Harlan Richard C wrote:
> Like I said before I have not problem with distributed monitoring. I
> know they use passive checks back to main Nagios Host. The problem I
> have is for a critical peace of infrastructure is relying on the passive
> check to the Host. I prefer active check. The problem with passive check
> is you are relaying on the host to update Nagios instead of Nagios
> actively polling for information. Like you said below I know if the data
> becomes stale Nagios will fore a check on the service. I just prefer to
> cut the middle man out of the system and reline on active checks.

A matter of opinion then. Perhaps this part of the discussion can be
dropped.

> Over all Nagios will scale to a very large amount of active service
> check in a short amount of time. For the most part most check take very
> little system recourses, but the problem becomes you can only do some
> many checks in a set time frame.

This depends largely on the type of checks being run. It's very
expensive to dig through logfiles, and very cheap to run a local plugin
making a single system call (sysinfo() on linux, f.e.). Interpreted
plugins (scripts) always run slower and require more memory than their
compiled counterpart. Plugins executing external programs also run a lot
slower. SNMP-plugins parsing a lot of mibs will run significantly slower
than those using OID's and not parsing the mibs (I think Net::SNMP of
perl parses all mibs automagically, so executing snmpget without parsing
mibs is actually faster when using perl).

In healthy networks where things work most of the time, plugins will run
a lot faster (since no plugins time out) and Nagios will be able to
handle more active checks.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer