About a active plugin in local machine

Harlan Richard C HarlanRichardC at JohnDeere.com
Wed Jun 22 16:28:06 CEST 2005

I see what you are saying in stead of using check_pick you could use
check_smb or something in layer 7. Over all I am not a fan of passive
checks, in my option if the service check is not critical enough to
perform a active check but wait for the host, then it is a nice to know
but not critical.

Though my views are slant to our environment, all web sites, each site
displays a page giving information of the health of the site. From there
we are firm believers if the service is critical we will actively probe
it, not waits for it.

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Paul L.
Allen
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 9:16 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] Re: About a active plugin in local machine

Matt Luettgen writes:

> I would agree with this, accept I've seen many machines that were
'dead'
> and still responded to ping.

I've seen machines that complete the TCP three-way handshake for a
service but don't get any further.  The problem is usually that of
running out of some critical resource needed to fork off the service to
handle the connection although the TCP stack itself continues to
function.

Check_ping is a very poor test of a service.  Check_telnet is a little
better but all it really tells you is that you have a functioning stack,
not that the service behind it is running correctly.  A check that tests
for a response from the service (like a 220 response from SMTP) is
better still.  Best of all would be a check that runs through the whole
sequence, such as sending mail on port 25 and checking that the final
response is OK (because you might get a temporary or permanent failure
code when SMTP tries to queue or deliver the mail), although that's
probably too much overhead if you're monitoring lots of servers.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support

reporting any issue.