About a active plugin in local machine

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jun 22 15:41:18 CEST 2005

Daniel Szortyka writes:

> I will have many other computers in other clients networks... My
> nagios can't stay checking other networks... so I need that the other
> computers send me your result states.

What you want is passive checks submitted to *regularly* (say every 5
minutes) via NCSA to your Nagios machine.  Either install Nagios on
a *nix machine on the remote network or install NC_Net on each of the
Windows servers to be monitored (I've never used NC_Net but the
documentation says it can submit passive checks via inbuilt NSCA routines).
Install the NSCA daemon on your Nagios box.  Configure Nagios to accept
the passive checks.  Make sure you create an active check for each
passive service that returns a critical result and the text "Passive
check is stale" (if the passive check is stale the active check gets
called).

You had almost the right idea but your Windows machines must submit
passive checks regularly rather than on a service state change or you
won't know if one of the Windows machines fails completely because you'll
never get a critical result for any of its services.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support