Sound an alarm

Brian Smith bsmith at fusionbroadband.com
Tue Jun 21 21:09:59 CEST 2005

To get the sound into more different places without relying on really
loud speakers, you could implement something involving IceCast or
ShoutCast and some machines set to tune in to the Nagios box's sound
stream.  Ogg123 or mpg123 (I think that's how they're spelled? Can't
double check atm.) or even xmms, a few different sound files, and the
Jack sound system I think would be where to start on that.

Also the Festival speech synthesis system is designed to be able to
accept "say text" requests from networked clients.  It's quite a pain to
set up and hogs the sound card for itself when it runs, but could be
used to speak the hostnames in trouble.  "Speech-Dispatcher" is another
synthesis program that's much easier to use, but is single-system only
unless you plug it into Festival (which it is built to be able to do
through an output module if you get the Festival-enabled package).

Good luck,

-- Brian