checking disk space of remote hosts

Aditya Ivaturi aivaturi2 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Jun 16 23:40:25 CEST 2005

I just set this up this morning so lets see...

> Hi,
>
> Just trying to figure out how the check_disk plugin works... it
> doesn't seem to have a way to pass the remote hosts ip address from
> the command line.

If you are trying to execute check_disk on remote host then the docs
(README file that came with your NRPE package) says it clearly that it is
a risk. Hard code whatever arguments you have to pass. I think it is
obvious why.

> Is there where NRPE is used?

Yes. As far as I understand, check_nrpe on the monitoring hosts requests
the nrpe daemon on the client to execute the relevant plugin.

> I can't find too much
> documentation about it... where does one learn about nrpe (or how do i
> check disk space on remote hosts?)

There is a good example in the README file I mentioned. Apart from that
there is nothing else. But if you have successfully set up and configured
Nagios on a host implementing this should be rather easy. Again read that
README file thoroughly.

--Turi