Deleting Acknowledgement comments

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jun 16 19:57:00 CEST 2005

Andrew Laden wrote:
> Can Nagios be automatically set up to delete Comments associated with
> Acknowledgements? IE. There is a problem. I ack the problem and include a
> comment.
>
>  The problem goes away. The Ack clears but the comment remains. I'd like the
> comment to clear as well, Else I have to go in manually, look at all the
> comments, see which ones are on services that are no longer problems, and
> clear them manually one at at time.

This is called "Persistent Comments" and can be defined through the GUI
with a checkbox when acking the problem (at least in nagios 2.x,
although I'm fairly sure this was in 1.x as well).

> As a side note, for some enhancement requests.
> 1: Ability to apply delete multiple comments from a single web page. (ie, a
> checkbox for each comment, and an apply to all button.
> 2: A search field, so I can type in the name of a host, and have nagios list
> the hosts, or if there is only one, list the service details for the one
> host. Makes it much easier to find hosts.

The part after the 'or if there is only one' is already implemented in
Nagios 2.x.

> 3: Combine 1 and 2, so I can search for a set of hosts, and apply a
> comment/downtime/etc to all of them. This way, I don't have to set up
> hostgroups for every possible combinations of hosts that I would like to
> work on.
>
> I am running Nagios 1.1

While these functions are all good and well, the current GUI will be
dropped for something else entirely. This new GUI will most likely keep
comments in a database by itself and only let Nagios know of
acknowledgements (for notification purposes). No new features are
planned for the current GUI, although patches implementing obviously
desirable features are often accepted.

Obviously desirable in this case means that no sane person can have
anything to object to them, or they are optional and unobtrusive if
unused. Patches that depend on the mood or opinion of the user are
usually ignored.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer