Nagios locks up

Platt, Nicholas Nick.Platt at myflorida.com
Wed Jun 15 15:40:41 CEST 2005

I've been running Nagios for about a 2 years and found 1.1 to be the most
stable version.   We had two servers setup and one of the servers seemed to
always lock up.   Lock up is defined as all services including the Linux OS
itself not accessible.  The server is pingable, but the screen is completely
black and typing on the keyboard made no difference.  I always thought it
was hardware related; therefore, I transferred it to a new box and it did
the same.    I also ran a test and determined that when Nagios was off, the
lock up would never occur.

I just recently installed a development box and been testing Nagios 2.03b.
Every once in a while, the same lock up happens and the only thing can do is
a POWER RESET.  Has anyone experienced similar occurrence?     The only
thing I can think of is that all the boxes I had this happen to SENDMAIL was
turned off.  I run an hourly routine to clear the ClientMailQueue.  SENMAIL
is turned off so I don't get two pages for every device.    Any advice would
be appreciated.  Thank you.

R. Nicholas Platt

Communications Engineer Supervisor

State Technology Office, State of Florida

Phone:  850.413.9535

E-mail:  nick.platt at myflorida.com