Ping timeouts

Torleiv Ringer tringer at mpr.org
Tue Jun 14 15:42:56 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 09:22 -0400, Raful Mr Mitchell H wrote:
> Is there anyway to extend the 500ms maximum for ping timeouts in
> either nagios 1.x or 2.x. I have satellite backup connections and the
> delay is definitely above that for some locations.

For your check_command on your hosts you can make your own ping command
in checkcommands.cfg.

I use something like this:

# 'check_wan_alive' command definition
define command{
	 command_name    check_wan_alive
	 command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 3000.0,80% -c
10000.0,100% -p 5 -t 30
        }

This has a 30 second timeout, a 3000ms until warning with 80% packet
loss and a 10000ms latency and 100% packet loss before critical. Works
for almost all of my connections (SatIP, Frame, DSL).
--
Torleiv Ringer
Broadcast Systems Administrator