'Disable Host Checks' not working?

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Jun 14 05:54:56 CEST 2005

Hi - I appear to have found something which is not working as expected.

As I understand it, if you disable host checks for a host, then it will
remain in its current state and no checks will be attempted.

However, even with host checks disabled, they are still occuring!  See this:

Host Status:   DOWN  (Has been acknowledged)
Status Information: (No Information Returned From Host Check)
Last Status Check: 14-06-2005 15:47:37
Status Data Age: 0d 0h 0m 40s
Last State Change: 14-06-2005 10:22:26
Current State Duration: 0d 5h 25m 51s
Last Host Notification: 14-06-2005 10:22:26
Current Notification Number:   1
Is This Host Flapping?   NO
Percent State Change: 0.00%
In Scheduled Downtime?   NO
Last Update: 14-06-2005 15:47:56

Host Checks:   DISABLED
Host Notifications:   ENABLED
Event Handler:   ENABLED
Flap Detection:   ENABLED

The current time is 14-06-05 15:50.  As you see, it last ran a host check 3
minutes ago, despire the fact that host checks have been disabled for five
hours now.  As a side effect of this, the timeout on a ping for the host
check is causing the Latency to increase on all the services.

System is Linux kernel 2.4.20, running Nagios 1.2.  Host check in question
is a default check_ping

Has anyone come across this before?  Is there a reason for the host checks
being carried out regardless of the settings?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Steve

---
Steve Shipway: ITSS, University of Auckland
Email: s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz  Web: http://www.steveshipway.org/
** We can only discover new oceans when we have the **
** courage to lose sight of the shore.              **