What this message means?

Nathan Oyler noyler at khimetrics.com
Thu Jun 9 16:53:38 CEST 2005

I have this problem on my one and only FC2 machine.

I researched the trail and haven't had time to really address it, google
gives this information

http://www.nagiosexchange.org/nagiosplug-devel.31.0.html?&tx_maillisttof
aq_pi1%5Bmode%5D=1&tx_maillisttofaq_pi1%5BshowUid%5D=6153

>From the FAQ of procps:

'Why does "ps -aux" complain about a bogus '-'?

'According to the POSIX and UNIX standards, the above
command asks to display all processes with a TTY
(generally the commands users are running) plus all
processes owned by a user named "x". If that user
doesn't exist, then ps will assume you really meant "ps
aux". The warning is given to gently break you of a habit
that will cause you trouble if a user named "x" were
created.'

Thus the syntax of ps must be corrected. We should get
rid of the "-" on "/bin/ps -axwo..." In fact, if I change
PS_COMMAND manually on config.h the plugin works as
expected:

[root <at> nagios plugins]# ./check_procs
PROCS OK: 470 processes