service notifications

Lewis Getschel lgetschel at denver.westerngeco.slb.com
Wed Jun 8 19:08:56 CEST 2005

Fred Reinthaler wrote:

>Yes I was talking about notifications only.
>
>So can Nagios be expected to read information from the state
>retetntion file at some point even though the state retention option
>is enabled?  I was able to force it by stopping Nagios and deleting
>the state file but I'm guessing that's probably not a good thing to
>do.  It just seems like alot of work to have to do this through the
>web interfaces if let's say you have hundreds of hosts.
>
>I'm still not sure I fully understand how useful state retention
>really is within Nagios.

I think I figured out State Retention (a piece of it at least <smile>)
When (in nagios.cfg)
    retain_state_information=1
Nagios 'remembers' the host/service state when you restart Nagios.
   If set =0
then Nagios has to perform all the checks before It 'knows' your
complete system status. MY checks are set to
    normal_check_interval           20
So It took Nagios 20 minutes to determine everything when I turned it
off. As nagios.cfg comment says:
   "Since its only a one-time penalty, I think its well worth the
additional startup delay."
I keep mine on now <grin>.
Lewis

>thanks,
>
>fred
>
>p.s.  I am reading the PDF for documentation but I think it differs
>from the html docs because I couldn't find the same retention notes in
>it.
>

>On 6/7/05, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:
>

>>I am presuming that when you say they are 'disabled' that you do not
>>mean that active_checks_enabled is set to 0 and are truly talking about
>>notifications only. If you have retention enabled --
>>
>>http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html
>>
>>"Retention Notes
>>
>>It is important to point out that several directives in host and service
>>definitions may not be picked up by Nagios when you change them. Host
>>and service directives that can exhibit this behavior are marked with an
>>asterisk (*). The reason for this behavior is due to the fact that
>>Nagios chooses to honor values stored in the state retention file over
>>values found in the config files, assuming you have state retention
>>enabled on a program-wide basis.
>>
>>One way to get around this problem is to disable the retention of
>>non-status information using the retain_nonstatus_information directive
>>in the host and service definitions. Disabling this directive will cause
>>Nagios to take the initial values for these directives from your config
>>files, rather than from the state retention file when it (re)starts.
>>Using this option is not recommended, as it may result in some
>>unexpected (from your point of view) results.
>>
>>Alternatively, you can issue the appropriate external command or change
>>the value of the host or service directive via the web interface, so
>>that it matches what you've changed it to in the config files. This is
>>usually done by using the extended information CGI. This option takes a
>>bit more work, but is preferable to disabling the retention of
>>non-status information (mentioned above)."
>>
>>http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/xodtemplate.html#service
>>
>>"notifications_enabled *:       This directive is used to determine
>>whether or not notifications for this service are enabled. Values: 0 =
>>disable service notifications, 1 = enable service notifications."
>>
>>--
>>Marc

>>::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.
>>::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null

>::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any issue.
>::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null

--
Lewis Getschel             | Today is done...
WesternGeco                |     Today was fun...