Vedr.: Nagios vs SNMP traps...

Thomas Jens Lauritsen tjl at topdanmark.dk
Thu Jun 2 23:03:38 CEST 2005

Yes I made work with Netsaint / cricket.sh

I then made at total new installatin with Nagios and newer got to that part
again.

I now uses SNMP to get all kind of status from our servers.  I ask quite
often - every 5 -10 minutes.
Diskspace every hour

The problem with getting these traps is if they don't get to your NagiosBOX
- then you don't have any value.
That is whay I like to ask for values via snmp and put some retry value in
the service.cfg.

Also if you get a value that says something failed - but don't get anothe
value saying I'm OK - then the
service windows tell you that there is an error but the error is actually
gone.

So you have to check both ways to be sure.

The good thing about traps is that you get tha value change when it
happens. So you don't
have to ask for every 5-10 minutes.

The best whay could be a combination of both

You can make some fantastic shell script-plugins  to handle all kind of
snmpvalues.

I ask for cpu's , diskspace left on the servers, deadmails, mailwaiitng,
antivrus-dat-files age,
cluster-queue, all kind of tasks on the servers, uptime if someone or if
the system self booted....

Best regard

Thomas Lauritsen

                      "Serveur-Faucon Surveillance"
                      <SrvFaucon at cslaval.qc.ca>            Til:      <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
                      Sendt af:                            cc:
                      nagios-users-admin at lists.sour        Vedr.:    [Nagios-users] Nagios vs SNMP traps...
                      ceforge.net

                      02-06-2005 17:59

Hi all,

early this year, someone ask me if someone had any kind of Nagios with SNMP
traps implemented.

Unfortunatly, the project wont be look at for now, but will be soon.

So my question his : Is there someone who have a full SNMP traps
implementation with Nagios and how?

I know about the FAQ, but I would like to know if someone actually made it
work :)

Thanks.

reporting any issue.