check if host is alive with check_ssh

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Thu Jun 2 13:09:43 CEST 2005

Joost Saanen writes:

> Anyone have an solution to monitor several servers behind a firewall?
> The only port which nagios may go through is the SSH port (port 22).
> At the moment I use the command 'check_ssh' to check if a host is
> alive, this doesn't work pretty good, because sometimes I get an host
> down alert:

Check_by_ssh is the obvious way to monitor services in this situation.
However, there are some slight security risks to your monitored
servers if somebody can become nagios on your monitoring server.

Another solution is NSCA.  For that to work you'll have to install nagios
on a server behind the firewall and it uses NSCA to submit passive checks
to your monitoring server.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support