monitoring Root Partition....

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Thu Jun 2 12:11:56 CEST 2005

tor, 02.06.2005 kl. 11.23 skrev Vincent Ngundi:

> I have two problems here:
>
>   ) I'm using the 'check_local_disk' command to monitor the disk space
>     on remote machines....
>
>     The problem is that I get the same value for all the remote
>     servers....what could be the problem or what plugin/command should I
>     use? Is there a plugin like check_remote_disk or should I come up
>     with one?

You can't use Nagios to check remote machines without an auxiliary
utility. Download and check out nrpe - it'll do what you need.

>   ) Defining a command on the service description:
>
>     While defining a command, there's a line that reads: "command_line"
>     and another that reads: "command_name",
>     While defining a service, there's a line that reads: "check_command"
>
>     How do you define a "check_command" given a "command_line"?

In checkcommands.cfg command_line is the actual path to the plugin and
the command parameters. command_name is the name it's known as in
services.cfg.

>     e.g: given the "command_line": $USER1$/check_pop -H $HOSTADDRESS$,
>     what would be the corresponding "check_command"?

in my checkcommands.cfg:

define  command {
        command_name    check_pop
        command_line    $USER1$/check_pop -H $HOSTADDRESS$
        }

>     Do you use the command_name, which is "check_pop" in the above case?

Yes, in services.cfg, possibly with extra parameters when needed.

All of this is extensively documented and grepping and lessing around in
the original install config directories will get you very far - it's how
I learned.

--Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl