NRPE Agent and Setup

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jun 1 20:39:55 CEST 2005

1) NRPE and desired nagios plugins installed on remote host
2) check_nrpe installed on nagios server
3) appropriate check_nrpe commands are added to nagios commands/service
definitions
4) nagios calls check_nrpe command for service which contacts NRPE
daemon on remote host which runs the plugin and returns the result to
check_nrpe which returns the result to nagios.

> Just something like that is really what is needed, the configuration
> details I'm sure
> I could figure out. It's just unclear as to what goes where in order
for
> this to work. I'd be
> happy if someone could just point me to a decent how-to also, thanks
in
> advace.

It's not challenging... The section titled "Configuring Things On The
Nagios Host" in the README and the sample nrpe.cfg are pretty
straightforward. If you have difficulties understanding particular
activities you can always search google or ask here.

--
Marc