NRPE Agent and Setup

Sxan sxanrr at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 1 19:46:06 CEST 2005

Hey all,

I'm just about to start trying to use the NRPE agent for monitoring some remote
servers (Linux right now and maybe Windows in the future), but I'm just not clear on
how it works. Does the NRPE Agent run on the remote server and then executes
plug ins on that remote server, while the Nagios server connects to the remote server
and gets the results? Or I guess, I just want to know exactly what has to be installed
where for me to be able to use the NRPE agent.
i.e.

1) NRPE Agent gets installed on the remote server
2) <Something else gets installed on the nagios server>
3) <It gets configured here>
4) Restart the Nagios process and it's done.
etc...

Just something like that is really what is needed, the configuration details I'm sure
I could figure out. It's just unclear as to what goes where in order for this to work. I'd be
happy if someone could just point me to a decent how-to also, thanks in advace.

~Jim

http://mail.yahoo.com