cpu load: difference between uptime and vmstat output

tom van overbeke tomvanoverbeke at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 1 18:27:32 CEST 2005

Hi,

I thought that using the check_load monitor, my
monitoring was safe with respect to the responsiveness
of the server, but i was apparently wrong.

I just had a case (checkpoint firewall running on
solaris 8) where the box was unbearably slow ( a
firewall rule that triggered too many packets or
somesuch), while the output from the 'check_load'
monitor (which uses the output from uptime) was
showing quite normal results. however, we did see
afterwards on our mrtg monitoring that the % user time
spent by the cpu was abnormally high.

Are some of you relying solely on the check_load
monitor, or are you using other checks as well, and if
so, which ones ?

thanks,

Tom.