FW: FW: secondary nagios verification

Brian Smith bsmith at fusionbroadband.com
Thu Jul 28 20:47:09 CEST 2005

Hi Miles.  See comment below...

Another way to do this, depending on your exact situation, might be to
make the Nagios XML files (on my system this is /var/nagios/nagios.xml)
on each machine viewable by the other machine.  If one machine sees the
service you're looking for go down, you could run a script that checks
the XML file on the other machine, and if it says OK it could manually
drop a service check response into the Nagios command file.

Or, you could define a separate service for that host on each Nagios
machine (like maybe othernagios_svcname), and have that service NOT
generate its own checks.  Then have a cronjob on each machine check the
XML file on the other machine (for the real service) to see if it says
OK or not.  So each Nagios would have two services for that host, one
for its own checks and one for the other machine's checks, and no
infinite loop because neither Nagios is set to send checks to the other,
it happens through a separate channel.

Try this you'll see what I mean:
cat nagios.xml |grep [specific host name]

Good luck,
-- Brian