(service|host)_notification_commands

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jul 27 23:06:56 CEST 2005

Ken Dyke wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 08:42:27PM +0200, Andreas Ericsson (ae at op5.se) wrote:
>
>>Ken Dyke wrote:
>>
>>>Because it results in unexpected behavior.
>>

>>No, it doesn't. Learn what a hash is and, more importantly, how it works
>>before you make assumptions in public.
>

> I know what and how a hash is/works.

Then you should know that hashes aren't used for serial lookups. Hashes
are for when you know the key but not the data. In a sequential
scheduling all the objects needs to be parsed and Nagios doesn't have
the key to the next object before it has all the data.

>  As noted in this very thread it is
> not documented that values are stored in a hash.

It's not documented because it's irrelevant to the user. You need to
read the file html/docs/checkscheduling.html in the nagios distribution
you need. In particular you want the section on interleave factor, but
it's most likely a good idea to read all of it.

>  And frankly, I don't
> give a fuck how they are stored.  It should not matter to me.  What
> matters is that if I give a list I expect that list back the way I gave
> it.

Feel free to submit a patch. I'm not sure you'll have much luck with it
though, since this is an issue where everyone seems to have an opinion.

>  If the list gets mangled that is "unexpected".

Not if you've read the docs. The mangling is necessary (well, not
exactly, but it allows for very nice code shortcuts).

>  Perhaps you
> should look up what the word "expected" means before opening you mouth
> in public.

I know perfectly well what expected means. I also know that assumption
is the mother of all fuckups. What I think but don't know is that you
haven't read the docs (front to back), so you've made assumptions as a
substitute for knowledge. What I completely fail to understand is why
you seem to be angry with people just because your assumptions were wrong.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer