FW: secondary nagios verification

Miles Scruggs rt at garnetweb.com
Wed Jul 27 20:12:48 CEST 2005

> nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> > Is there anyway for nagios to verify the status of a host from
> > another nagios system?
> >
> > If I have two nagios systems nag_A and nag_B  and they are
> > monitoring the host host_A and it's services.  If nag_A
> > detects that host_A is down is there anyway for it to ask
> > nag_B if this is verifiable, and vice versa.
> >
> > If nag_A can't communicate with nag_B I would like it to
> > still send out notification if and only if it can communicate
> > with 1 or more specified hosts.
> >
> > If the simple answer to these questions is "yes" then the corollary
> > will be "how"
>
> Yes.  Have a look at NRPE.  Install the client on each of your Nagios
> servers, then use the check_nrpe command from an eventhandler to check
> whatever it is on the remote system.  Quick and easy.

I'll do that, play around with it.

> That gets you part of the way there, anyway.  But I'm guessing where you
> really want to get to is the ability to monitor hosts from different
> parts of the internet using several Nagios instances, yet only alert if
> more than one sees an outage.  It could probably be done, but I think it
> would be an ugly hack, although it might be possible to cobble something
> together with a combination of NRPE/eventhandlers and check_cluster.
> I'd have to think that through some more.  Would be better if
> functionality like that were built into Nagios.

Yes this is what I want, which is what I thought distributed monitoring
would be.  Turns out the nagios docs have a different meaning for it.  Keep
me posted if your thinking turns up anything.  I think I have ground to
start on now, so I'll push forward.

Thanks

Miles