Multiple Nagios proccesses running.

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jul 27 18:45:01 CEST 2005

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>

>>It's not present in Nagios 2.x, only the older (unmaintained) version.
>

> Well, I don't think nagios 1.x should be "unmaintained"  until 2.0 is
> released as final, and I will probably continue using it for a long time
> after that anyway. I wish I had more time to "maintain" it myself.

What you think and don't think is, sadly, irrelevant. It's a fact that
Ethan doesn't actively track down bugs or prioritise bug-reports on the
1.x-branch. If you're interested you could ofcourse backport the fixes
from the 2.x branch. I'm sure Ethan would welcome a patch.

>>I've patched it on quite a few occasions. The reason it's not so easy to
>>fix in the distribution is that the init-script really must be portable
>>to all platforms that nagios runs on.
>

> Can you tell us what's wrong with it so we can fix our own initscripts?

Nothing's wrong with it per se. To work around it I added the redhatish
concept of lockfiles that are created by the init-script. Several nagios
instances can still be spawned so long as you don't use the init-script,
but on platforms that have the "service" script it's not often useful to
do so anyways.

>>False. I know of several that happily start several processes, even
>>where such processes clearly conflict with each other.
>

> Then it's not "well written" in my book :-)

True.

> Nagios tries to do the
> mutual exclusion, but fails for reasons that I don't understand yet.

I take it you haven't read the code. The mutex part simply isn't there
(it's fairly easy to follow, if you take it from main() and just read on
down to event_execution_loop() (or something).

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer