[OT] - Out of office

Tony Green tgreen at bandcamp.tv
Tue Jul 26 22:30:48 CEST 2005

On 26/07/2005, at 10:15 PM, preissler thomas wrote:

>> Also any messages with the headers of
>>

> Which standard/RFC?

Most major mailing list managers set them by default (including
mailman on the nagios users list).  They are not, that I'm aware,
defined as part of a standard and are not in RFC822 or RFC1123, but a
the end of the day they are used a lot.

Sendmail itself uses these headers to do message prioritization,
though as with a lot of sendmail's internals, this doesn't make it a
good thing ;-)

The venerable vacation program was my first exposure to them, google
shows a LOT of other programs now support their use.

If you want to prevent your auto-responder from replying to mail it
shouldn't, you need to use both of the tips presented in this
thread.  If you only choose to ignore mail that is not directly
addressed to you, you may still fall foul of certain mailing list
managers, promotional mails, etc.

If you only use the Precedence method, you're relying on the sender
setting something which isn't required (though most lists etc do).

Are there better ways of doing this in the modern world?  Sure!  Can
we implement one of them before this guy goes on holiday?  Doubt it ;-)

greeno
--
Tony Green <tgreen at bandcamp.tv>