Remote NRPE calls always unknown.

Jonathan Baker jonathan at football1x2.com
Tue Jul 26 16:36:33 CEST 2005

Hi there,

I got the NRPE daemon running fine and installed the plugins on the remote machine and tested them with the "nagios" user, so they all work locally on the remote machine. $USER1$ points to the libexec directory with the check_nrpe plugin in it: -

$USER1$=/usr/local/nagios/libexec

I am trying to use check_disk with a remote host using NRPE and I've setup up the command definitions in the nrpe.cfg file to not use parameters like so: -

command[check_disk_root]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_disk -w 50% -c 25% -p /

I've set up my command definition for check_nrpe like this: -

define command {
    command_name        check_nrpe
    command_line            $USER1$/check_nrpe -H %HOSTADRESS$ -c $ARGS1$
}

and my remote service like this: -

define service {
    use                            generic-check-disk
    name                        remote-root-part-service
    service_description    Root Partition NRPE
    check_command        check_nrpe!check_disk_root
    register                       0
}

and linked to an actual host with this: -

define service {
    use                           remote-root-part-service
    host_name                252
}

...which all works fine and I've checked it with the -v flag on Nagios.

If I switch to the Nagios user "nagios" and execute this command from the shell, it works fine: -

[root at localhost libexec]# ./check_nrpe -H <remote ip address> -c check_disk_root
DISK OK [725088 kB (73%) free on /dev/sda8]

....but I always get an orange Unknown for all remote services through the web interface with "no output returned from plugin".

Help! I've tried absolutely everything I can think of. Nagios doesn't seem to complain, the NRPE daemon is running and I can execute all plugins locally and also remote through the shell.

At the end of my rope here. Advice?