State Rentention thoroughly messed up

Justin Shore justin.shore at sktbcs.com
Mon Jul 25 20:49:48 CEST 2005

I'm apparently having a lot of problems with state retention.  I've only recently gotten this 2.0b3 install going.  I originally added 5 machines of varying types and used them as baseline templates for all my other hosts.  I've since added numerous hosts and services.  I noticed something was wrong right away when I only saw the original 5 hosts after adding a couple dozen more.  I figured I typoed something or forgot to add my new hosts to the various config files.  After confirming I didn't screw that up I went back to the GUI.  That time when I clicked on Host Detail I saw all my hosts.  It was that way for the next couple of clicks.  Then it went back to the original 5.  Now, a week after getting all my hosts added I can only see all of them perhaps 9 out of 10 times.  All the other times Nagios is absolutely convinced that there are only 5 hosts, instead of 33.  The Host and Service Status Totals confirm this, as does the Tactical Overview.

Looking through var I see that var/status.sav only contains info on the original 5 hosts and their servies when Nagios is acting squirrelly; it does however contain info on all hosts/services when it's working right (very hard to catch the file in that state, let me tell you).  However objects.cache always has the right info in it.

Does anyone have any ideas what's causing this?  I hesitate to blame it on a typo in a config since it does work part of the time.  Given its inconsistent nature I can't really point a finger at any one thing.  Any ideas?

Thanks
 Justin

--
Justin Shore, Network Engineer