Service Definition Efficiency

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Mon Jul 25 11:47:02 CEST 2005

Hello,

virtually every of the nodes I need to monitor by Nagios has an
SSH daemon listening.

Since this is my means of transport to any node I would consider
it a vital service
which requires to be checked.

To this end I would use either "check_tcp -p 22 ...", or maybe
better yet since I guess a more thorough check is involved,
check_ssh from the Nagios plug-ins.

Because I want to safe me from repetitive editing I thought one
could define a service group in servicegroups.cfg
that comprises every host of our site that runs an SSH daemon in
the member list.

Then I'd like to define a generic check-ssh service that kind of
being only template defined.
But I stumbled over that each service requires a check_command
statement,
which again would force me into a hundred times buffer copying
and editing.

Can what I wish to accomplish be set up in abt. less than ten
lines?

Regards
Ralph