nrpe-2.0 on Mac OS X

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Jul 22 20:41:51 CEST 2005

Brian Furner writes:

> The ownership is nagios:
>
> -rwxr-xr-x   1 nagios   nagios  82684 21 Jul 14:45 nrpe
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 nagios   nagios   5020 21 Jul 14:09 nrpe.cfg

I no longer have a system with NRPE on it because I switched to NSCA.
NSCA requires nsca.cfg not to be world-readable (because it contains a
password).  I don't remember NRPE being that fussy but maybe it is (no
password in the config, so no need to be that fussy).

Check accessibility of parent directories of those two files.  Also
double-check the server_args you're calling nrpe with - both for syntax
and for having the correct path to nrpe.cfg.  Also check the server
you specified for xinetd - double-check that the path is correct.

If that doesn't solve the problem, stop xinetd then fire it up manually
with the -d option to get lots of debugging output.  If that fails,
you're into strace territory.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support