distributed monitoring = remote monitoring?

Toby Kraft Toby_Kraft at KSAinc.com
Wed Jul 20 20:59:10 CEST 2005

All,

Question regarding distributed monitoring - is the benefit of this
configuration primarily to distribute the service check workload among
several servers or is it used primarily to support a distributed WAN
environment allowing you to have active checking nagios boxes in remote
locations that funnel their status results to a central monitoring nagios
server?

The docs say it's for offloading cpu load and don't really talk about
remote locations and such.  But the architecture seems to fit a
distributed WAN environment.

I have a couple of clients that have, say, 3-5 locations, each with < 10
hosts and 20-30 services at each site to monitor.  I was under the
impression that the distributed approach would isolate the traffic for the
active service checks to the local lan and only send status info to the
central server when something 'interesting' happens.  Is that correct?  Is
this kind of environment suitable for distributed nagios or would it be
overkill to go the distributed route?

Thanks,

Toby