check_oracle breaks when run under nrpe

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Tue Jul 19 09:34:09 CEST 2005

Hello,

I know that I should post this to nagiosplug-help solely and not
x-post to nagios-users.
But I see there's much more activity in the latter and thus I
reckon a bigger chance for me to draw attention.

I set up nrpe on remote hpux host that runs an Oracle dbms.

When I execute the check_oracle shell script from the nagios
plug-ins on that host like such
everything works fine

[nagios at terra:/usr/local/nagios/etc]
$ ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0
PATH=/usr/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --tns FREMD

OK - reply time 30 msec from FREMD

Wheras when I run it through check_nrpe by this command
definition in nrpe.cfg

[nagios at terra:/usr/local/nagios/etc]
$ grep ^command\\[check_tns nrpe.cfg
command[check_tns_FREMD]='ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/9.2.0
PATH=/usr/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/bin
/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_oracle --tns FREMD'

this is happening

[nagios at terra:/usr/local/nagios/etc]
$ ../libexec/check_nrpe -H 127.0.0.1 -c check_tns_FREMD
CHECK_NRPE: Response packet had invalid CRC32.

[nagios at terra:/usr/local/nagios/etc]
$ echo $?
3

Unfortunately nrpe or check_nrpe are of the silent sort,
and thus nothing useful gets logged via syslogd

[nagios at terra:/usr/local/nagios/etc]
$ tail -1 /var/adm/syslog/syslog.log
Jul 19 09:31:02 terra inetd[22034]: nrpe/tcp: Connection from
localhost (127.0.0.1) at Tue Jul 19 09:31:02 2005

First how can I raise verbosity of nrpe to detect more?

Then what could have gone wrong?

Regards
Ralph