DOUBLE not taken in check_smtp/pop

Emmett Keyser emkeyser at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:40:51 CEST 2005

I'm getting the following alert when I use a decimal number for warnings and
criticals on the check_smtp and check_pop plugins:

***** Nagios  *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: SMTP Response
Host: hfsfx3
Address: hfsfx3.hf.local
State: UNKNOWN

Date/Time: Mon Jul 18 09:18:39 PDT 2005

Additional Info:

check_smtp: Warning time must be a positive integer
___END

The -h for those plugins lists the following for -w and -c:

-w, --warning=DOUBLE
    Response time to result in warning status (seconds)
 -c, --critical=DOUBLE
    Response time to result in critical status (seconds)
___END

So the question is does DOUBLE mean integer or floating point? Wikipedia has
this to say:

In computing, double precision is a computer numbering format that occupies two
storage locations in computer memory at address and address+1. A double
precision number, sometimes simply a double, may be defined to be an integer,
fixed point, or floating point.
___END

If it is an integer then why would anyone want to check double precision lenths
of time as opposed to floating point to check say fractions of a second response
times?

So is this a bug or do we like to check for response times of a million seconds?

Thanks,

Emmett Keyser