Very basic configuration questions

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Mon Jul 18 14:29:09 CEST 2005

Hi,

I newly subscribed to this list.
So forgive if these kind of embryonic questions already have been
asked and answered a 1000 times.
I'm a bit too impatient to dig through the FAQs and list archives
right now.
I will do this later.

I tweaked my set of config files so long until nagios pre-flight
check didn't report errors
but only warnings anymore.

The warnings are due to many predefined hosts that I haven't had
the time to elaborate on required service checks yet.

So I started nagios in daemon mode (i.e. -d), and having had the
first 6 nodes monitored (i.e. mere check_icmp so far) for the
lunch break.

Of course I couldn't expect everything to work from the
beginning.

So I noticed a couple of errors when I turned my eye on nagios
log and nagios user's mail queue.

First there's a minute macro expansion problem.

Among others I defined this MX domain

$ grep ^\$USER5 /opt/sw/nagios/etc/resource.cfg
$USER5$=our.site.tld

$ grep resource.cfg /opt/sw/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
resource_file=/opt/sw/nagios/etc/resource.cfg

$ cat -n /opt/sw/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg | sed -n 15,23p
    15
    16  define contact {
    17      use                                 generic-contact
    18      contact_name                        grothe
    19      alias                               Ralph Grothe SAZ
    20  #                                       see resource.cfg
for $USER5$
    21      email
ralph.grothe@$USER5$
    22  }
    23

This is what happened.
The MTA bounced the notification on an check_icmp alert because
there was some queer substitution,
recipient rewriting going on.

$ grep -E Final-Recipient\|Diagnostic-Code /var/spool/mail/nagios

Final-Recipient: rfc822; ralph.grothe at USER5.other.site.tld
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; Name service error for
name=user5.other.site.tld

Why didn't the macro get substituted?
Did the MTA rewrite the other.site.tld as suffix, or where could
have come from?
(n.b. {our,other}.site.tld are merely dummies for real addresses
for I feared being spammed)

Another question,
if I extend or adapt my Nagios config do I have to bring the the
daemon down,
or would a

$ kill -HUP $(cat /var/opt/nagios/nagios.pid)

suffice?

Thanks