Nagios and performance data

Frederik Vanhee frederik.vanhee at perso.be
Mon Jul 18 10:44:49 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm doing some experiments with performance data, but experience some
strange behaviour
I have a plugin 'check_iftraffic.pl' that returns this :

Total RX Bytes : 145.74 MB, Total TX Bytes: 242,75 MB, Average Traffic:
2,89 kB/s (0,0%) in, 6,25 kB/s (0,0%) out | inUsage=0.0,85,98
outUsage=0.0,85,98

In nagios.cfg, I put 'process_performance_data=1'
So I expect that Nagios splits the plugin output in two Macros :
The text before the | should be the service output and the text after
the | should be recognized as performance data

$SERVICEOUTPUT$=Total RX Bytes : 145.74 MB, Total TX Bytes: 242,75 MB,
Average Traffic: 2,89 kB/s (0,0%) in, 6,25 kB/s (0,0%) out
$SERVICEPERFDATA$=inUsage=0.0,85,98 outUsage=0.0,85,98

Instead of what I expect, Nagios drops the text before the | and the
text after the | is treated as the plugin output, so in my status-cgi's,
I get :

inUsage=0.0,85,98 outUsage=0.0,85,98

and I don't get any performance data.

I thought it had something to do with an illegal character, this is what
I have in nagios.cfg :
illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>

Any hints ?
Apart from perfparse, what programs are you using to interpret
performance data ?

Thanks,
Frederik