How does one notify on event handler failure ?

Stanley Hopcroft Stanley.Hopcroft at IPAustralia.gov.au
Mon Jul 18 06:03:13 CEST 2005

Dear Folks,

I don' think this an RTFM but please let me know which FM to read otherwise.

I would like to have an event handler attempt a service restart __and__ then
have Nagios process a restart failure by notifying the contact group and doing
all the other Nag things (log, pace notifications, re-invoke event handlers ..) as
long as the service fails to restart.

How would I do this ?

One option is to have the event handler

1 attempt a restart

2 retry the service and find that it is still unavailable

3 submit a notification event to the Nagios Command Queue.

This is _not_ a very good solution because the event handler would have to
hardcode the contact information since it has no access to the Nag macros.

What are other people doing about this ?

Yours sincerely.