measuring bandwidth?

Patrick Proy nagios-user at proy.org
Sun Jul 17 22:43:54 CEST 2005

Hi,

The check_snmp_int.pl script does this
(http://www.manubulon.com/nagios/snmp_int.html).

Patrick
Nagios AT proy dot org
http://www.manubulon.com/nagios/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nagios-snmp/

-----Message d'origine-----
De : nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net] De la part de Cam
Envoyé : vendredi 15 juillet 2005 16:58
À : nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Objet : [Nagios-users] measuring bandwidth?

Hi,

I've got some more stuff i'm trying to work out.  We want to measure the
bandwidth that the server is using and have nagios warn us if it get's too
high or too low.  Right now i'm monitoring that over SNMP w/ cacti and it's
working good, but that just makes me pretty graphs, and i need warnings.
anyway, i'm trying to figure out the best way to do this and i wanted to get
other people's input.  The problem that i'm having is that if i poll the
data over SNMP that i just get a meaningless COUNTER value.  So i guess what
i'm wondering is does nagios have anyway to keep track of these things
themselves, or do i need to write a script sort of like this (psuedo-code):

#this file has the SNMP data polled last time nagios ran my script OLD =
read $foor NEW = snmpget localhost ifinOctets.bar #something like that echo
$NEW > $foo | awk $4 -print

x = $(($NEW - $OLD))

if [ $x -lt $SOME_VALUE ]; then
  print_warning_message
elif [ $x -gt $OTHER_VALUE ]; then
  print_another_warning_message
else
  print_ok_message
fi

is there any problems w/ this approach?  is there a cleaner way to do it?
what exactly are the rules for plugin output (it seems like it's just 'FOO
[OK|WARNING|FAIL]: comments'--is that right?

Thanks!
Cameron Matheson

any issue.