Alternate methods to notify Nagios

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 15 21:11:01 CEST 2005

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Adam Engel wrote:

> Hey guys!
>
> I have been using Nagios for over 2 years now and really enjoy it.  I have a
> question regarding ways to inform Nagios of problems.  Does anyone know of a
> plugin that will allow Nagios to accept email from a peice of software
> informing it that a problem is going on.  This would be nice so that the
> software we have written can send an email to nagios stating there is a
> problem and then nagios sends out its normal notifications.  I have already
> told the developers of NSCA, but they would like if there was a way Nagios
> could be informed via email because they wouldn't have to write anything.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Adam

Adam,

I doing exactly what you describe to connect my Nagios Distributed boxes
to Nagios Central.  NSCA wasn't an option in my environmnent to I needed
to come up with an alternative that used a well-known port.  I chose
postfix as the MTA for both the sending and receiving sides and added a
GPG encryption layer to encrypt the data.  Then I hooked up a
global_service_event_handler called submit_check_result_smtp that looks
like this:

time=`perl -e 'print time';`

/bin/echo "[$time] PROCESS_SERVICE_CHECK_RESULT;$1;$2;$return_code;$4" |
/usr/bin/gpg -ea -r nagios --batch --no-tty --always-trust | mail -s
"Nagios Status Message" nagios at nagioscentral.mydomain.com

On the central box, I have a small perl script that takes mail on stdin,
gpg decrypts it and writes the output to the named pipe using the
Mail::GnuPG, MIME::Parser, and MIME::Entity perl modules.

It has been running in production for 6 months now without any major
issues.

Some of the other advandantes of using an MTA include the ability to retry
deferred messages (a mixed bag) and extended logging functionality.

Hope that helps.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com