check_oracle plugin and $ORACLE_HOME

Cam cameron.matheson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 22:09:31 CEST 2005

Hi,

I'm using nagios to monitor some of my systems.  It seems like a
pretty slick system.  Anyway, i'm trying to check if the oracle
database is up on one of my boxes, but i really know nothing about
oracle at all (i'm just monitoring the box, i have nothing to do w/
anything other than that).  Anyway, i was happy to see the
check_oracle plugin, but i'm having a little bit of difficulty.  The
error i get when i try './check_oracle --tns aspdb' i get the error:

Cannot determine ORACLE_HOME for sid aspapp2

i did a search on the mailing list archives, but the only thing i
could come up w/ some problems that people had w/ the plugin and nrpe
(i don't want to use nrpe).  I tried setting ORACLE_HOME here on my
nagios server, but that didn't do me any good.  Am i doing something
wrong?  Is this not the right plugin for me?  I was thinking about how
i could check it other than through the plugin... maybe check if the
process is running through SNMP?  Any hints would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Cameron Matheson