Distributed Nagios and scheduling service check from the central server

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jul 14 21:28:36 CEST 2005

Nothing
> seems to be working the way I need it to.

Set your check_period to none. Active checks will never happen except
for the forced freshness check. You can then force an active check from
the GUI for any host or service that you want and it will be executed.
Scheduled checks will not happen. See below.

> Is there a way to be able to manually schedule a check of services
from
> the central server in a distributed setup?  I don't want active checks
> performed from the central server but I would like freshness checking
> be performed.

There is no mechanism to send an 'active check request' from a central
server to the distributed servers. Nagios itself isn't even aware that
they exist let alone how to communicate with them. It just knows that it
got a passive check, not where it came from. You either need to use the
GUI on the distributed servers to force the check, use the GUI on the
central server and have the check execute from there or create your own
mechanism to send/execute the request on your distributed machines.

--
Marc