Global Events

Quanah Gibson-Mount quanah at stanford.edu
Tue Jul 12 18:34:13 CEST 2005

Stanford has written a process that gets called any time a global event is
trigger, that sends a SOAP event to another system that pulls together
alerts from a number of different monitoring systems.  However, one problem
we've noticed is that some very useful events that we'd want that other
system to see do not trigger global events.

Specifically, acknowledgements of a problem would be the most useful.  Is
there an easy way to add to the events that are considered global?  Are
there changes to what the global events are in Nagios 2.0?

Another trigger for a global even that would be useful is for a system
going into downtime.

Example:

[1121002943] EXTERNAL COMMAND:
SCHEDULE_HOST_DOWNTIME;kerberos1;1121002923;1121010123;1;3600;rra;Upgrading
to Debian
[1121002944] HOST DOWNTIME ALERT: kerberos1;STARTED; Host has entered a
period of scheduled downtime
[1121010123] HOST DOWNTIME ALERT: kerberos1;STOPPED; Host has exited from a
period of scheduled downtime

Obviously kerberos1 was put into downtime @1121002944, however, the
following global events were still generated:

[1121004587] GLOBAL HOST EVENT HANDLER: kerberos1;DOWN;SOFT;1;notify-smarts
[1121004608] GLOBAL HOST EVENT HANDLER: kerberos1;DOWN;HARD;2;notify-smarts
[1121006152] GLOBAL HOST EVENT HANDLER: kerberos1;UP;HARD;1;notify-smarts

Notifying the other system that the host was down (notify-smarts).  Since
the downtime knowledge isn't also broadcast, the SMARTS system has no way
of knowing the host down alerts should be ignored.  Alternative, perhaps
global events shouldn't be broadcast for systems in downtime.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer