RH AS3.0

Stanley Hopcroft Stanley.Hopcroft at IPAustralia.gov.au
Tue Jul 12 07:17:34 CEST 2005

Dear Folks,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 08:12:41PM -0700, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] RH AS3.0
> From: "jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz" <jamie.baddeley at vpc.co.nz>
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 12:19:28 +1200
>
> If you use dag wieers packages from his rpm repository - he compiles in
> the embedded perl support.

> And that memory leaks like a sieve.

With respect, I think you are wrong.

Initial releases of 2.0 had embedded Perl support with the leak from Hell that
you describe.

Since 2.0b3, that is no longer case. The embedded Perl support still leaks
memory __but__ there are sites with 2,000 plus Perl service checks that think
the leak rate is acceptable given the performance boost.

I urge you try the embedded Perl support post at 2.0b3 at CVS and let the list
know of the leak rate, the number of services and the number of Perl plugin
services if you find the rate is unacceptable.

Embedded Perl is not like a supercharger; you are prob better off without it
than with. OTOH, if you use Perl plugins exte

> So don't compile embedded perl and everything is fine.
>
> jamie

Yours sincerely.