check_external_commands option - host showing down when it's up

Sxan sxanrr at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 11 17:20:01 CEST 2005

Thanks Marc,

I actually found that same document during my search and it worked out well. Now
to the root of the reason why I needed to enable external commands. I have a host that was going up and down all throughout the weekend due to power issues. This host is now up
and functioning, yet nagios is still reporting it as being down. I just ran the check again
manually through the web interface, and it's still reporting the host as down. I can ping
the host fine from the box that nagios is running on, all other hosts are showing fine. It's
just this one host. Is there some kind of cache or anything that I might need to clear
in order to correct this issue?

Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:
Does the /usr/local/nagios/var/rw directory exist and have permissions
such that nagios (and also your web server) can write to it? I do not
believe that directory is created by the nagios install as it's just a
suggested location so you would need to create it yourself.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/commandfile.html might be useful.

--
Marc

You
> are correct about the
> error with Nagios and the nagios.cmd file. Here is the error in the
log...

> [1121088502] Error: Could not create external command file
> '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' as named pipe: (2) -> No suc
> h file or directory. If this file already exists and you are sure
that
> another copy of Nagios is not running, you should del
> ete this file.
> [1121088502] Bailing out due to errors encountered while trying to
open
> the external command file for reading... (PID=3627)
>
> So is this a common error with an easy fix? I'm going to be googling
for
> the resolution and checking the faq's, but any replies would still be
> appreciated. Thanks!
>
> Sxan wrote:
>

> Thanks for the reply, as far as what you suggested, I checked
the
> log and
> there are no errors in there that are outside the scope of the
> normal notifications
> that Nagios gives. Does using the external commands require that
it
> be configured
> in more places than just the nagios.cfg? I'm guessing that maybe
I'm
> missing
> some other variable that the external command checking depends
on or
> something.
> Thanks again for the reply and help.
>
> Marc Powell wrote:

check_external_commands
> option in the
> > nagios.cfg
> > file. Basically, I tried to schedule some downtime,
saw that
> I needed
> > have that
> > option enabled, so I went into the nagios.cfg file and
> changed the 0
> to a
> > 1 for that line
> > like it is below:
> >
> > check_external_commands=1
> >
> > I saved the .cfg and now when I try and restart
nagios, it
> won't
> start. I
> > just get:
> >
> > honda:/usr/local/nagios/etc # sh /etc/init.d/nagios
restart
> > Running configuration check...done
> > Stopping network monitor: nagios
> > Starting network monitor: nagios
> > PID TTY TIME CMD
> > honda:/usr/local/nagios/etc #
> >
> > If I run the following
> > ..../nagios/etc/../bin/nagios -v nagios.cfg Everything
> checks out ok
> with
> > just a couple warnings
> > that have been there before. Am I missing something
else I
> should be
> > doing? Like perhaps
> > specifying somewhere in the configs who has the right
to run
> external
> > commands? Thanks.
>
> Did you check nagios.log? Chances are that nagios isn't
able
> to actually
> create the command pipe (nagios.cmd) in the path
specified by
> command_file in nagios.cfg.
>
> --
> Marc

Dual!'
> webinar happening
> July 14 at 8am PDT/11am EDT. We! invite you to explore
the
> latest in dual
> core and dual graphics technology at this free one hour
event
> hosted by HP,
> AMD, and NVIDIA. To register visit
> http://www.hp.com/go/dualwebinar
> ::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v)
and OS
> when reporting any issue.
> ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being
sent to

http://mail.yahoo.com