Nagios notification via SMS

Sat Jul 9 06:29:03 CEST 2005

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:13:37PM -0700, nagios-users-request at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> From: Frederik Vanhee <frederik.vanhee at perso.be>
> To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: [Nagios-users] Nagios notification via SMS
>
> Hello,

(firstly, thanks a bunch for not posting in HTML _and__ Base 64 __and__
quoted printable)

> I wondered what hardware / software you are using to send text-messages
> (SMS) to cell phones.

Wavecom WM02 or equivalent

(gsm modem ie modem + aerial + SIM in small package useful for
installations doing telemetry etc. These modems support the standard text
message enhanced AT command set)

+

that marvellous Open Source Product from France, smslink.

> I think this could be done with an ordinary modem, but aren't there some
> cellphone-modems where you can put the SIM-card ?

Using a GSM modem means that you bypass the providers interface to their text
mesages service (for which you need to write an Expect/chat script to interact
with anyway).

smslink + GSM modems is a superior solution because

1 email interface

2 daemon/server instance

3 multiple modems

4 smslink has good debugging in the unlikely event of your troubleshooting
delivery problems

5 mesage delivery logging

6 years of flawless operation here

(but of course you may have to compile it yourself since I don't know if there
are packages)

If you

> Thanks,
>
> Frederik

Also for local delivery to non contact 9-5 interested parties (eg developers,
PHBs) jabber is a nice complement. I suppose one could also use it __instead__
of SMS but I haven't tried that.

Yours sincerely

--
Stanley Hopcroft