Nagios fills up the /tmp directory

Mark Rinaudo mark at bowmansystems.com
Fri Jul 8 23:07:58 CEST 2005

nagios-users,

I've been using nagios for a little over a year. I'm running Nagios 1.2.
I've just recently started running into problems where Nagios is writing
files to the /tmp directory but does'nt seem to be removing them.
The files start with the Ip address of the host that it's checking with
an extension containing a series of letters and numbers.  For some
reason Nagios is filling up the /tmp directory with the maximum number
of files allowed in a directory (not space wise) which causes the email
server to break on the server making Nagios useless.  This is running on
Debian (woody). I've checked the permissions on the tmp directory and
it's rwx by everyone.  Has anyone run into this problem and what did you
do to fix it?

TIA
mark

--