check_external_commands option

Sxan sxanrr at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 8 16:35:36 CEST 2005

Hey all,

I have a question regarding the check_external_commands option in the nagios.cfg
file. Basically, I tried to schedule some downtime, saw that I needed to have that
option enabled, so I went into the nagios.cfg file and changed the 0 to a 1 for that line
like it is below:

check_external_commands=1

I saved the .cfg and now when I try and restart nagios, it won't start. I just get:

honda:/usr/local/nagios/etc # sh /etc/init.d/nagios restart
Running configuration check...done
Stopping network monitor: nagios
Starting network monitor: nagios
  PID TTY          TIME CMD
honda:/usr/local/nagios/etc #

If I run the following
..../nagios/etc/../bin/nagios -v nagios.cfg Everything checks out ok with just a couple warnings
that have been there before. Am I missing something else I should be doing? Like perhaps
specifying somewhere in the configs who has the right to run external commands? Thanks.

Jim